Thursday, September 23, 2010

13th Century Surgery??


I have always loved medicine and anatomy, and the history of medicine is so fascinating. Doctors didn't always have procedures to follow and the knowledge that guides them, so they did what they reasoned was right. A lot of times, they were right. Other times, they were way off!

Due to these interests I requested The Surgery of Bruno Da Longoburgo – An Italian Surgeon of the Thirteenth Century by Mario Tabanelii (Translated by Leonard D. Rosenman, M.D.), published by Dorrance Publishing. This book was not what I expected. It is sophisticated material for what I envisioned for 13th century medicine! Although his thought processes are not always exactly correct, Bruno typically puts a lot of thought and effort into trying to determine what is happening and how to fix it. There are many anatomical and medical terms in the book, which would make it hard to read for one not well versed in those terms (much like myself!). Overall, I did not really enjoy this book, but I can see it being more interesting to doctors and nurses who know the current procedures!

Find this book or others at:http://dorrance.stores.yahoo.net/surofbrundal.html.
This book was provided by Dorrance Publishing. They have so many options for books you can order, read, and review....for FREE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment